2013 A VERY GOOD YEAR!

Both books, Joy in Your Garden and The Incredible, Edible Landscape are available.  YOU CAN ORDER NOW!!  Click on Books tab (above) for details.

Rhonda Leigh’s music is still available for mp3 download – just email me: askjoy@joyinthegarden.com

Check the Calendar for information on the Parade of Ponds, August 10 & 11th.

Joy in the Garden now partners with KLO for a Saturday morning garden show.  We will air at 8 am on 1430 AM  and  103.1 FM    Call in number is 866 627-1430

Please spread the word to everybody about this terrific change.  I’ll see you on the radio, and please call in so I know you found Joy in Your Garden once more.

At a recent UNLA Midwinter Conference, I included these quotes in a presentation for our members:

unla quotes, 2013

Previous Next

29 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Beverly Beal
    Feb 09, 2012 @ 13:23:55

Anxious to see your next book. Love your first one. You allways have just the answer I need. Glad you mentioned one day that the man from the east in his books was giving ideas for people in the east.
    You are so cute and so helpful. Appreciate all the time and study you have put into your work and then sharing it with others.

Sincerely,
    Bev Beal

• Joy
      Mar 21, 2012 @ 09:17:57

Thanks Bev, and we just got word that we can pick up the books for the pre-sale orders!!
      either Friday or Monday of next week we’ll have them signed and ready to deliver.

• Patti
        May 16, 2012 @ 17:17:55

Bought a book at the presale but have not heard anything about where to pick it up.

Thanks

• Joy
          May 17, 2012 @ 11:49:25

We have sent several emails about pick up opportunities, perhaps we didn’t have your email address. You will be receiving a list very soon.

2. Ruth
    May 05, 2012 @ 17:52:27

I have a tree in my yard, a Bartlett pear tree I believe, but it does not produce fruit well. It is about 6 feet tall, and it’s the only pear tree in our yard. Every year we get 2 or 3 pears and they do well at first, but before they are very big the just fall off the tree and they never get any more ripe. I was told that pear trees do not produce fruit until they are 5 years old and I am not sure how old this tree is, but I think it is more then 5, I think it is around 7+. Do you know what the problem is and how we can fix it so the pears stay on the tree long enough to mature?

• Joy
      May 08, 2012 @ 11:13:58

Bartlett pears are only part self-fertile. You get much better production if another Bartlett or Red Bartlett is growing nearby. The fruit drop is a good indication of incomplete pollinating. You should be seeing pears by now. If you know someone with a pear tree, you can (ask first) prune off a few branches as both trees are in bloom. Secure the cut branches to your tree and bees will probably do the rest.

3. Joy
    Oct 13, 2012 @ 11:56:17

Please tell me how I can e-mail and ask a question regarding the handling of dalliah bulbs and what to do with a poinsettia that I have had been able to keep green all summer.

4. Anita Leimbach
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 09:48:48

I am so sorry that KNRS has done this. You were the only show I ever listened to on that station–too much hate-speak. I hope you turn up on another station–I will follow you.

• Joy
      Dec 03, 2012 @ 12:07:24

Thanks Anita – I’ll try to keep listeners post via my website of what happens next. I’m heading to Pittsburgh for Christmas so every sad thing is shelved until I return. May you and yours have a Merry Christmas!

5. Bill
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 10:24:23

Today is a sad day for Utah gardeners – for years we’ve listened to Joy In The Garden on KNRS, and are sad to learn that Saturday is now devoted to Money on KNRS.

Dedicated Joy fans should let KNRS know that their decison to go for revenue instead of public service is a bad one! The KNRS bean counters may decide the schedule, but the listeners are where the revenue really comes from!

We will not be listening to KNRS in the future, and look forward to another station picking up Joy’s show!

• Sean
      Dec 18, 2012 @ 09:45:29

Joy was always a joy to listen to each and every Saturday. She didn’t just give gardening advice, but often would share her words of wisdom, update us about local news and event happenings, and teach us about how to be good to one another and our mother earth. I definitely hope another radio station picks her up soon, or perhaps some other venue.
      Until then, Merry Christmas, Joy and her listeners!

6. Mary
    Dec 08, 2012 @ 09:31:24

I am so sad. I always looked forward to listening to Joy every saturday morning. I bet listeners will not tune in to the new program. I know that I won’t. Joy was one cheerful, upbeat lady with plenty to offer. KNRS has made a big mistake!

7. Heather Park
    Dec 08, 2012 @ 09:48:14

Hello Joy,
    My husband and I found out about you not being on the radio any longer, and we are both saddened and disapointed. We both enjoyed listening and getting advice about gardening. Thank you for your service to our community, and your books, and your sense of humor.
    Sincerely,
    Ken and Heather Park

8. Earl Chantrill
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 18:05:44

I have enjoyed listening to your Saturday morning broadcast since we moved from Lakewood, Washington 6 years ago. We have met you at several garden and/or home shows at South Towne Center. KNRS may have gained some money, but have lost some listeners (and lovers of home grown tomatoes) on Saturdays. I hope the loss of sponsors of your show will be greater than the paid programming few will listen to. I guess that KSL Greenhouse will be the only Saturday morning local radio garden show, now. Sooooo sad!

9. Ron Hermansen
    Dec 21, 2012 @ 17:17:28

I have listened but never called. I got the sad news just now by seeking emergency help from Joy. Double trouble, no help by air or email. Enjoy your trip, and I have read the comments and agree. However there are a couple of other programs I like to hear on KNRS.

Hoping to learn of a new station picking up your great show.

RJ

10. Nathan and Elizabeth J.
    Dec 29, 2012 @ 09:14:21

Joy, both my husband and I are so sad that your show will no longer be on Saturday mornings. It was our Saturday morning ritual to listen to Joy in the Garden. We agree that KNRS has made a big mistake, and you are and will be missed. Few radio hosts are able to develop a frienship-relationship with their listeners and even though we have never met you before, we consider you our friend.

We are on strike and will definitely not be listening to the new show. Thank you Joy for having provided the best radio show ever! We will miss it.
    Regards,
    Nathan and Elizabeth J.

11. Aaron
    Dec 30, 2012 @ 19:45:03

Thank you Joy for your great show. I did not have time to listen live, but downloaded the audio each week and listened at work. Do you think you will do your own podcast still and upload it here on your site? You were the best source for Utah gardening aside from the local extension office.

12. Beverly Beal
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 08:49:00

I’m still mourning that you won’t be found on the radio. I’ve learned so much from your show. Where are the heads of those in charge of the show? I hope their ratings so way down. You are a dream and I would be the first to pickett for you. Thanks so much for all the things you have taught me to keep my garden growing.
    Your advice and sense of humor have kept my Saturday mornings bright and cheerful and I’ve always looked forward to them.
    Thank you so much.
    Beverly and Dan Beal

• Joy
      Feb 09, 2013 @ 13:36:52

I really miss joining everyone on Saturday morning. Recently I was approached by KLO, 103.1 FM & 1430 AM about doing a radio gardening show! Things are moving toward just such a show. It will begin March 16th, and air from 8 to 9 am every Saturday. Spread the word, hope to be seeing you on the radio! Ah hui hou!!

13. Jo Lynn Kruse
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 17:40:15

Dear Joy,
    You are sorely missed. I don’t know what I will do without your advice come this Spring. Thank you for your years of expert and kind advice. I wish you well my friend.

Sincerely,
    J.L. Kruse

14. Janice Homan
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 08:04:32

I was so disappointed to turn on the radio only to hear some used car sounding guy blather on about his money schemes. BUMMER. Will watch your website and see where we can find you again!

15. Patti
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 09:49:51

Just this morning, we found out that Joy In The Garden will no longer be on the radio. We are so sad! And, angry at KNRS! Joy has been a wonderful advocate for that station. Huge mistake KNRS!!! We have always spent our Saturday mornings with Joy and enjoyed the show immensely!! Thank you , Joy, for a wonderful show and for sharing your knowledge and great personality with all of us! We will be looking for you somewhere in the near future!!

16. Konda
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:17:23

Just wanted to let you know that we miss hearing you on the radio. I am disappointed in KNRS with the way they let you go. Thank you for all the Saturdays we got to listen to your cheerful voice!

17. Derrick
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 09:33:02

Joy I only recently found out about your show, I’ve miss a few do to multiple surgeries. I’m doing better now physically but a little heart broken over your show. Any thought in doing a internet broadcast/podcast or any talk of getting pick up by another station? Thank you for you service to the community! Your name is truly fitting! I have called KNRS to let them know of my displeasure and that I would not be tuning in to there new program.

18. Joyce McCune
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 17:01:39

I just sent a scathing e-mail to KNRS voicing my anger and disappointment in replacing Joy with a babbling financial idiot. I pleaded with them to find a time slot for her somewhere to continue “Joy in the Garden”….maybe one day a week during Rod Arquette’s time. Joy has had a huge following of listeners for many years, and we need her back!!

19. Michelle
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 09:45:44

I can’t believe you’re gone Joy! I loved hearing your joyful voice every Saturday morning giving wonderful and very needed gardening advice to our Utah community! You are a treasure and will be greatly missed! Thank you for all of the teaching, caring and love of gardening that you instilled in so many of us. Those of us who were faithful listeners love you and the work that you do which goes beyond gardening, but gave us some of that much needed hope and joy in our daily struggles.
    Thank you Joy!
    Michelle

20. Amy
    Jan 31, 2013 @ 13:47:02

I just started listening to you last Spring on your podcast and now you’re gone. Just when I started to feel like a gardener. I am disapointed that I won’t have all your great advice to follow week to week. I guess I will save up my podcasts but it won’t be the same.
    I hope they change their minds! If not, you should look into starting a podcast that we can subscribe too.

21. Cheryl
    Jun 23, 2013 @ 00:09:55

Hey, guys & gals. Joy is now broadcasting on KLO Saturday mornings @ 8 a.m. Check out her calendar page for details on her live broadcast June 29 at Century Lighting Center in Ogden. Come visit us at our sale to let KLO know your are listening and you love hearing Joy at her new home! https://century-lighting.net & https://centurylighting.blogspot.com